Monday, February 21, 2011

Meet our sophomore fashion designer, Eva Block!



Eva was originally a fashion-merchandising student at Marist, however in the last year she has declared fashion design as her focus of study.

Age: 20
Hometown: Woodbridge, Connecticut
Favorite color: I really don’t have a favorite color, I like all colors…
“In terms of designing I tend to gravitate toward my inspiration, whatever that may be at the time. I like to use a lot of neutrals though. The color usually changes, but I usually like to use neutrals and have pops of color.”
Favorite designer:
Oh, that’s hard! I like Marc Jacobs. Balenciaga is a big inspirational designer for me. You can tell a Balenciaga garment when you see it. A couple years ago when the house came out with dresses with big shoulder pads and flowered prints I thought it was a great mix of feminine and masculine at the same time. It was kind of a hard look but the pattern on the dress softened it. I like Jill Sander a lot just as a designer. She has a great simplicity to her work that lets the fabric speak for itself.
Why did you choose Marist for fashion? 
Because it was pretty. They [also] have a good fashion program that is pretty well known in the city and they have really great professors that have a lot of experience in the industry. Unlike a school like Parsons or FIT it offers a campus life as well which I liked.
Why fashion design?
I really enjoy art, and I really love fashion. I have devoured magazines since I was a little kid [and] I’ve just wanted to go into the industry. I never really knew what I wanted to do but then I realized it was right in front of me. I like to be creative. I could never sit at a desk, its so boring.
What are your essentials for a day in the lab?
If I’m sketching, I need an inspiration – like whatever I’m working on. And then I would need my sketchpad, my pencils, [and] my markers. If I’m going to drape I need my box, which is a toolbox that has everything in it – pins, needles, scissors. I bring my iPod to listen to music - otherwise I’m bored. I bring drinks and snacks because your usually in there for a while when you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment